Sunday, July 6, 2014

sharing my experience: a little russia in the usa


sometimes telling stories and trying to explain my experience in russia just isn't enough.  i want people to really get a good idea, to feel it, to taste it.  SO, i hosted a russian evening at my apartment in park city.  i made several traditional russian dishes, put up a bunch of russian souvenirs/decor (including my USSR space program propaganda posters), and dressed in my furs.  i also wrote out in russian (with english translation) labels for all the food and drink and put a slide show of some of my photos showing a sampling of my life over the year+ i was there.  it was a fantastic time.  i'll let the visuals speak for themselves.


me in my fur hat and vest.  both are polar fox.  and both are real.  


the spread.  clockwise from center top: Droba, a great russian eco vodka from birch trees, my homemade horseradish-honey infusion, mors (homemade cranberry compote/drink), pickles, pickled veggies, boiled potatoes, brown bred and butter, olivier salad (potatoes, carrots, peas, egg, pickles and mayo!), and in the middle, an americanized khachapuri!  that is a really fabulously tasty salty cheese bread from georgia.  it was one of my favorite dishes over there...all of the internationals were obsessed with it.  then i have a few decorations sprinkled around the table...a little matryushka stacking doll, a mug from the railroad, and a straw "winter doll" from the maslenitsa celebration i attended last spring in moscow.  it is a celebration to say goodbye to winter, and welcome in the spring, and also happens right before lent, so everyone gorges on blini's and honey-fermented beverages.

and then everyone wanted to try on the fur hat....










i think people walked out with a little better idea of what life was like for me over there...just a tiny sampling, but enough to give them a greater appreciation.  pretty much everyone appreciated the horseradish vodka.  :)  and the khachapuri.  you can't go wrong with melty cheese and buttery pastry.  so maybe we aren't as different from each other as we think...

No comments:

Post a Comment